From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI usage
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 21:07:26
1 On Sep 6, 2012 10:18 AM, "Michael Orlitzky" <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 09/05/2012 05:29 PM, Brian Harring wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Yes, I stated it because I view it as useful/sane.
6 > >
7 > >> and isn't a compromise at all.
8 > >
9 > > I think you're mistaken in assuming a compromise is the required
10 > > outcome of this. Given the choice between something productive, and
11 > > something not productive, you don't choose the quasi-productive
12 > > solution.
13 >
14 > From a developer's perspective, it's obviously better to be able to do
15 > whatever you want. But for users it'd be nice to be able to request a
16 > bump to EAPI5 and not get told to buzz off.
17 >
18 > Some people are unhappy with the current situation or this thread
19 > wouldn't exist. A good compromise should make everyone just a little bit
20 > unhappy =)
21
22 Open source is built on scratching your own itch. As I said, you want
23 eapi5 for user patching, either you're on the devs prioritization, or you
24 do it yourself. You may not like that fact, but that *is* reality- filing
25 nagging tickets isn't really going to help (more likely to piss people off
26 in the same way zero-day tickets do).
27
28 Suggest you put effort towards eapi5 rather than this thread; the thread
29 isn't productive any longer (arguing the point when people have said no in
30 full force is pointless).
31
32 ~harring
33 >