From: Felipe Ghellar <fghellar2@×××××××××.br>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Automatic menus?
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 22:50:33
1 I've thought about something in this line, too.
2
3 I'd like to propose a way to implement this feature:
4
5 1. Include in the ebuilds a new function to generate the appropriate
6 menu files (*.desktop files?). Maybe pkg_postinst() could handle this.
7 These files could be stored in the /var/db/pkg/<categoy>/<package>/
8 directory, which already exists for installed packages, and maybe inside
9 another subdirectory, e.g. 'menus'.
10
11 2. Create a new feature in portage, e.g. 'menus', that can be enabled
12 via make.conf:
13 FEATURES="... menus ..."
14 In the case that this feature is enabled, the menus are automatically
15 created when the package is installed. Otherwise, the menu files are
16 just left alone in /var/db/pkg/<categoy>/<package>/menus/.
17
18 3. Include a tool in gentoolkit to manually create the menus from the
19 menu files if someone decides to start using them after having some
20 packages installed. Another tool to remove the menus could also be of use.
23 Just an idea...
24
25 []'s
26 Felipe.
29 Jon Nelson wrote:
30 > I agree, but think that the menu system (assuming that someday
31 > there is one) will be "activated" by installing menu (or
32 > gentoo-menu or whatever), and that individual ebuilds will still
33 > "install" their little 100 byte description files and so on, but
34 > that nothing will happen unless you install the menu program.
35 >
36 > The way it worked in Debian was like that. Don't want menus?
37 > Don't install menu. After 9 years of running 'stable' and you
38 > *suddenly* have a burning need for menus? install menu. Tada!
39 >
40 > Note that menu (at least in Debian) is also capable of dealing
41 > with per-user menu entries.
42 >
43 > After looking at the code, it may be worth doing one of the
44 > following:
45 >
46 > a) taking the code as-is and just packaging it up (this has been
47 > done, but not committed to CVS)
48 > b) taking the code and modifying it for Gentoo
49 > c) learning from the code and re-implementing in Python (avoids
50 > problems with g++, g++3.x, and so on)
51 >
52 > I'm in favor of (a) or (b) (they are really the same) in the
53 > short term, and (c) in the long term, but am not passionate
54 > about any of it, really.
59 Yahoo! PageBuilder
60 O super editor para criação de sites: é grátis, fácil e rápido.
61 http://br.geocities.yahoo.com/v/pb.html