From: Tom Philbrick <tom@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Automatic menus?
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 23:47:15
1 On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 12:50:31AM -0300, Felipe Ghellar wrote:
2 > These files could be stored in the /var/db/pkg/<categoy>/<package>/
3 > directory, which already exists for installed packages, and maybe inside
4 > another subdirectory, e.g. 'menus'.
5
6 The program uses /usr/lib/menu to store menufiles, I don't really see
7 any reason to change that.
8
9 > 2. Create a new feature in portage, e.g. 'menus', that can be enabled
10 > via make.conf:
11 > FEATURES="... menus ..."
12 > In the case that this feature is enabled, the menus are automatically
13 > created when the package is installed. Otherwise, the menu files are
14 > just left alone in /var/db/pkg/<categoy>/<package>/menus/.
15 >
16 > 3. Include a tool in gentoolkit to manually create the menus from the
17 > menu files if someone decides to start using them after having some
18 > packages installed. Another tool to remove the menus could also be of use.
19
20 All this is a nice idea, but isn't it overkill? On one of my debian
21 boxes that has over 1000 packages installed the /usr/lib/menu takes up
22 1.5 megs of space. Gentoo is not exactly small disk friendly, and unless
23 there is something else I'm missing, wouldn't it be easier to give up
24 1.5 megs and just install the menufiles whether you use them or not?