From: Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Virtualization Herd
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 03:07:57
1 On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 20:15 -0600, Nick Devito wrote:
2 > Generating root filesystems for UML and Xen are basically the same
3 > process. I've heard of domi, but, bleh, I never could get it to work. I
4 > usually just make my images in chroot, and that usually works well. But,
5 > since the images are *basically* the same, that means it would be
6 > possible to use the jailtime images, unless you are running on a 64-bit
7 > arch. Then, in that case, least with gentoo, running a 64-bit kernel and
8 > 32-bit userland doesn't work for long (first glibc (re)compile, and the
9 > whole thing borks out).
10
11 I'm on amd64, as my primary arch. I generally use a chroot, as well,
12 and have knocked up some scripts to help me, but a well-designed package
13 to do it would be very helpful. Maybe I'll write one...
14
15 Several patches just went into -mm to make UML work well as a 32-bit
16 process on 64-bit arches, which would make the root image a pure 32-bit
17 image.
18
19 Daniel