From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo and Root CAs
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:45:18
1 On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o> wrote:
2 > Now before you reply, RTFA. Also note that while my own opinion
3 > on the matter is irrelevant, I _do_ think that his concerns need
4 > to be addressed, particularly the second half of his statement.
5
6 SSL Certificate Authorities are a mess. Grab your favorite
7 browser/phone/etc and take a look at the list of trusted authorities
8 and tell me if you have even heard of half of them. If you look at
9 the list on a mobile device that is more than a year old or so most
10 likely it still has the compromised Diginotar certificates still on
11 it, since nobody bothers to update most of these devices after they
12 are sold (one or two brands notwithstanding).
13
14 Mozilla of course happily packaged the Diginotar certificates because
15 they paid the substantial fee and had the stack of paper that
16 demonstrated that at one point in time they at least had something
17 that resembled secure operations during a cursory audit. They have
18 been steadily blocking providers like CACert for just as long as they
19 had not demonstrated proper security theater. As far as I'm aware,
20 the latter hasn't been handing out certificates for everything from
21 GMail to Hotmail to random hackers.
22
23 The certificates that Gentoo distributes have at least been vouched
24 for by somebody who is a part of our community, which is more than can
25 be said for most of the upstream certificates.
26
27 The bottom line is that if you care about security that much, you will
28 de-list all the CAs on your system and do your own audits (routinely),
29 or white-list individual website certificates (again after whatever
30 level of due diligence you feel is appropriate). Perhaps you might
31 even hire somebody to do this work for you, but it will be somebody
32 you actually pay, and who will therefore treat you as a customer.
33 Make no mistake, you are NOT the customer of the CAs in your browser -
34 you are their product, sold to various companies for $200/yr or
35 whatever the going rate is. It really isn't that much different from
36 advertising, if you want to get your message out, then you pay the
37 gatekeepers for the privilege.
38
39 My suggestion is to leave things alone, and by all means have a
40 disclaimer on the ca-certificates package as Debian does. I'd rather
41 not bundle any certificates than be a party to the
42 hand-over-$10k-for-the-right-to-MITM-random-websites game.
43
44 Rich