From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New distfile mirror layout
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 12:43:43
1 On Tue, 2019-10-29 at 13:23 +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > > > > > > On Tue, 29 Oct 2019, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Dnia October 29, 2019 9:34:01 AM UTC, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> napisał(a):
4 > > > /space/distfiles-local is no longer copied to the mirrors? or just
5 > > > not copied in the subdir-hierarchy?
6 > > The latter.
7 >
8 > So, what has to be be done to have it appear in the proper place? Should
9 > the file be placed in a subdir of /space/distfiles-local/? That seems to
10 > be error prone, and certainly could be automated?
11
12 The file should be placed in SRC_URI, and emirrordist will take care of
13 fetching it.
16 > > > Just wondering. Do you mean it isn't valid that some upstreams do
17 > > > this (yes horror)? We surely need a way to work around that ...
18 > > I mean the method using same filename and expecting distfiles-local to
19 > > overwrite it. It is preferable to just rename it.
20 >
21 > Looks like this will break backwards compatibility. IIUC, backwards
22 > compatibility is also broken on the receiving side, that is,
23 > mirror://gentoo/ in SRC_URI will no longer work as expected?
24
25 Yes, this was noted in the top mail.
26
27 > Shouldn't GLEP 75 have mentioned this? It's certainly something that
28 > needs to be discussed before the GLEP is implemented.
29
30 GLEP only covers how regular distfile fetching works. Third-party
31 mirrors are out of scope, and all the people working on it and reviewing
32 it have missed the problem. That said, this can't be fixed within
33 bounds defined by PMS.
34
35 Given that mirror://gentoo is discouraged since at least 2011, I don't
36 see a big deal here. One day it'll stop working; we should stop using
37 it before then.
40 Best regards,
41 Michał Górny