From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: bdharring <bdharring@××××.edu>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: re-organizing our source mirrors into two categories: full and partial
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 11:44:27
1 On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 05:05:15AM -0500 or thereabouts, bdharring wrote:
2 > >Distfile mirrors would be required to carry the full /distfiles
3 > >directory.
4 > What space savings are avoided by not carrying the portage tree? Last
5 > I had checked, I believe the tree was roughly in the range of 100mbs or
6 > so.
7
8 The portage tree is carried on a separate system of mirrors. We call them
9 our portage mirrors or rsync mirrors. Source mirrors carry the tarballs
10 and ISOs necessary to build things found in the Portage tree, as well as
11 installation CDs, GRP packages, etc.
12
13 This discussion only revolves around source mirrors, which current hold the
14 following directories:
15
16 /releases
17 /experimental
18 /snapshots
19 /distfiles
20
21 Under the current proposal, "full" mirrors would carry all four directories
22 while distfile mirrors would only carry the last two directories. The
23 delta between the two in terms of hard drive space required is (roughly)
24 15GB.
25
26 --kurt