From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bug voting
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:16:15
1 On Tuesday 27 July 2004 6:59 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > I think votes will get cast for trivial cosmetic features (example:
3 > bootsplash) rather than the subtle can-make-your-system-die-horribly
4 > bugs. So, for those kinds of bugs, we'll either have to ignore the
5 > voting (which pretty much defeats the object of having votes at all) or
6 > focus on the 'popular' enhancements at the expense of having a working
7 > system.
8
9 Why speculate? Especially when it's not happening elsewhere in other large
10 open-source projects that have voting turned on?
11
12 > I am worried that I will see posts saying "why are you ignoring the
13 > several hundred votes on this bug?" on bugs for small cosmetic issues
14 > (example: bootsplash) when there are far more important bugs which don't
15 > attract votes. Although *I* will be ignoring the votes, the voters won't
16 > be.
17
18 Why are you worried about something that hasn't happened? You're putting
19 the cart in front of the horse. Voting works well for other large
20 projects using bugzilla, and there's nothing that would suggest it
21 wouldn't work for us. If vocal/spamming forum users were a problem for
22 bugzilla, dot.kde.org users would have made a mess of bugs.kde.org by now.
23
24 Cheers,
25 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@g.o]
26 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x708E165F