From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] collab herd for cooperative pkg maintenance
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 20:18:00
1 On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 22:53:45 +0300
2 Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 14:49:44 -0400 Tim Harder wrote:
5 > > On 2015-03-23 13:48, Panagiotis Christopoulos wrote:
6 > > > You want to have a herd for that or something in metadata.xml
7 > > > that would raise a flag that the package can be freely
8 > > > touched/maintained by anyone?
9 > >
10 > > I'd rather have a herd so people can easily scan via euscan or
11 > > similar to see the entire array of pkgs falling into the space.
12 > > Abusing another metadata field doesn't give the same visibility or
13 > > would require changes from tools.
14 > >
15 > > For example, bugs assigned to the herd or with it in CC could be
16 > > fixed by anyone without having to ask for permission. How would
17 > > that be handled easily when using an extra metadata field?
18
19 I agree that something along these lines would be really
20 useful. Possibly it might be a good idea to have some sort of extra
21 information in the metadata if you want to specify some restrictions on
22 this. Something like "feel free to bump/fix bugs etc but please don't
23 bump to prerelease versions".