From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 (Critical news reporting) updates
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 17:52:23
1 On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 17:46:01 +0100 Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | > There are currently several ways of delivering important news items
4 | > to our users, none of them particularly effective:
5 |
6 | I'd suggest changing this to something more constructive - calling our
7 | current efforts "none of them particularly effective" isn't exactly
8 | a constructive way of critizing things.
9
10 They're not particularly effective. If they were, there would be no
11 need for this GLEP.
12
13 | > A more reliable way of getting news of critical updates out to
14 | > users is required to avoid repeats of the various recent upgrade
15 | > debacles.
16 |
17 | As it was mentioned above, gcc 3.4 went pretty well on x86, can't
18 | comment on mysql as i don't use it myself.
19
20 I didn't say anywhere that the gcc 3.4 upgrade was a debacle.
21
22 | I'd suggest changing this
23 | text for something more diplomatic as i don't see much sense in having
24 | council approved GLEPs talking about council approved upgrade
25 | debacles.
26
27 What, we're not allowed to admit that not everything we do works?
28
29 | > .. Important:: This GLEP does not seek to replace or modify
30 | > ``einfo`` messages which are displayed post-install. That is a
31 | > separate issue which is handled by ``elog`` [#bug-11359]_.
32 |
33 | Thanks for clearing this quite important point up.
34
35 That was added after the GLEP was wildly misreported in GWN the last
36 time around...
37
38 | I'd suggest extending the process of creating a news item to also
39 | create a text to be posted to www.gentoo.org, the
40 | announce-mailinglist, the forums, RSS feeds, GWN, etc. Of course
41 | depending on the importance it may be decided to e.g. not post it
42 | on announce but only www.gentoo.org.
43 |
44 | Do you think this can be done within this GLEP or rather outside?
45
46 That's beyond the scope of the GLEP.
49 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
50 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
51 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm