From: Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 (Critical news reporting) updates
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 16:49:36
1 On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 01:35:50AM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Although most package updates are clean and require little user action,
3 > occasionally an upgrade requires user intervention during the upgrade process.
4 > Recent examples of the latter include the ``gcc-3.4`` stabilisation on ``x86``
5 > and the ``mysql-5`` database format changes.
6 >
7 > There are currently several ways of delivering important news items to our
8 > users, none of them particularly effective:
9
10 I'd suggest changing this to something more constructive - calling our
11 current efforts "none of them particularly effective" isn't exactly
12 a constructive way of critizing things.
13
14 > * Gentoo Weekly News
15 > * The ``gentoo-announce``, ``gentoo-user`` and ``gentoo-dev`` mailing lists
16 > * The Gentoo Forums
17 > * The main Gentoo website
18 > * RSS feeds of Gentoo news
19
20 Einfo is currently being used for that purpose as well - even if the
21 GLEP will leave it for less important news in the future. So i guess
22 it should be listed here.
23
24 > A more reliable way of getting news of critical updates out to users is required
25 > to avoid repeats of the various recent upgrade debacles.
26
27 As it was mentioned above, gcc 3.4 went pretty well on x86, can't
28 comment on mysql as i don't use it myself. I'd suggest changing this
29 text for something more diplomatic as i don't see much sense in having
30 council approved GLEPs talking about council approved upgrade debacles.
31 I'd suggest:
32 "A more reliable way of getting news of critical updates out to users is required
33 to prevent problems during upgrades."
34
35 > .. Important:: This GLEP does not seek to replace or modify ``einfo`` messages
36 > which are displayed post-install. That is a separate issue which is handled
37 > by ``elog`` [#bug-11359]_.
38
39 Thanks for clearing this quite important point up.
40
41 > Thus, at least 72 hours before a proposed news item is committed, it must be
42 > posted to the ``gentoo-dev`` mailing list and ``Cc:``\ed to ``pr@g.o``
43 > (exceptions may be made in exceptional circumstances). Any complaints ??? for
44 > example regarding wording, clarity or accuracy ??? **must** be addressed before
45 > the news item goes live.
46
47 I know you think it is beyond the scope of this GLEP, but i believe
48 having a new tool with rules for publication and OTOH all the
49 old tools mentioned above without clear guidelines/hints how to use
50 them doesn't make perfect sense. The gcc upgrade on x86 has shown so
51 far that combining our efforts does work quite well. Even if not
52 within this GLEP there should be some documentation how to make use of
53 all available tools to inform users. Otherwise we just have another
54 tool that gets more or less acceptance within the community.
55
56 I'd suggest extending the process of creating a news item to also
57 create a text to be posted to www.gentoo.org, the
58 announce-mailinglist, the forums, RSS feeds, GWN, etc. Of course
59 depending on the importance it may be decided to e.g. not post it
60 on announce but only www.gentoo.org.
61
62 Do you think this can be done within this GLEP or rather outside?
63
64 cheers,
65 Wernfried
68 Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne at gentoo dot org
69 Gentoo Forums: http://forums.gentoo.org
70 IRC: #gentoo-forums on freenode - email: forum-mods at gentoo dot org
71 --
72 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list