From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PR Project Activity Issues
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:42:39
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 21:30 Mon 26 Jan , AllenJB wrote:
3 >> The Gentoo PR Project currently appears to be having difficulties with
4 >> keeping up, both with the newsletters and announcements, and I believe
5 >> this is currently reflecting badly on the project as a whole.
6 >
7 > It's easy to complain and harder to take action to actually improve
8 > things. From my point of view, it seems like you've got an awful lot of
9 > time for the former and none for the latter.
10 >
11 > Regarding the parts of PR besides the newsletter and events, let me know
12 > once you've done something useful like do the work to close a few PR
13 > bugs, and we'll talk then.
14 >
15 I submitted a newsletter item a couple of months ago in GuideXML
16 format.[0] I have some ideas forming for more, but I'm kind of dissuaded
17 by the lack of actual publishing of the newsletter or any news about why
18 it is not being published.
19
20 [0] http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gmn/20081130-newsletter.xml
21
22 As I said in my opening post, I currently don't believe I have the time
23 to commit to being a full time developer, but intend to as soon as I do.
24
25 If you have some insight as to why these are apparent issues, please
26 teach me. I would not have posted this thread if it were not for the
27 fact that several developers also seem to think there is a problem and
28 there seems to be no discussion going on that I can see as to what the
29 causes of the problems are and how to solve them, so I decided to start one.
30
31 PR has the dubious honor of being probably the most publicly visible of
32 all the Gentoo projects, so maybe the issues are being blown out of
33 proportion, but without any discussion there's no way to discover
34 whether or not this is the case.
35
36 Perhaps things would be better if we did not discuss this at just let
37 the status quo stand?
38
39 AllenJB