From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev List <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo vs. the FHS
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 07:19:11
1 On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:21:14AM +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > As someone who works with a number of different OS's daily, from solaris
3 > to various flavours of linux - the FHS and standards compliance is a
4 > godsend. The FHS has a few warts, and slavish compliance with it is not
5 > desired, but generally, it is a "good thing". Just because commercial
6 > apps use it, doesnt mean its bad for everyone else, they just benefit
7 > too.
8
9 I totally agree. The FHS is not only a nice standard (even though I see why
10 some distributions don't follow it 100%) it also is a nice document to
11 explain users why and how a Linux system is structured.
12
13 And it's not like the FHS is static, it has changed several times and with
14 good pro/con references they will change the standard accordingly.
15
16 Wkr,
17 Sven Vermeulen
20 ^__^ And Larry saw that it was Good.