From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo's problems
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 04:15:44
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > I think you're massively underestimating the requirements of the
3 > average user, what with the tree as complex as it is these days. Most
4 > users now:
5 >
6 > * Have to use external repositories
7 > * Have to handle at least some keywording overrides themselves
8 > * Have to have some way of managing huge metapackages
9 > * Have closer to a thousand than a hundred installed packages
10 > * Aren't involved in development work
11 > * Expect their systems to work
12 >
13 > These are very different use cases than those for which Portage was
14 > designed.
15 >
16 Well ... am I an "average Gentoo user?" I'm certainly an *experienced*
17 one. I've got a modus operandi that works for me and what I want to do
18 with Gentoo, which is essentially run cutting edge but usable (by me)
19 scientific and algorithmic composition and synthesis workstations. So
20 what I have on my systems is mostly "~x86", lots of local USE flags
21 enabled in /etc/make.conf, a "package.use" that turns on "doc" on things
22 when I want the documentation installed, and a fair number of other
23 things built from upstream source. So
24
25 1. I use external repositories, mostly for things that aren't in
26 Portage. In almost all cases I download them as source directly from
27 their home page.
28 2. I'm not sure what "keywording over-rides" are. I do occasionally put
29 something in "package.mask" that refuses to compile, but in general
30 everything on my boxes is ~x86 and I've never gotten a system so broken
31 that I couldn't fix it without a re-install.
32 3. I'm not sure what "managing huge metapackages" means ... I don't
33 recall having to do that.
34 4. $ esearch -FInv ^|grep ^\*|wc -l
35 540
36 $
37
38 Yeah, on a log scale, that's closer to 1000 than it is to 100. :)
39 5. I'm not really involved in much development work except a lot of
40 testing. The projects I'm building on my own are mostly very simple
41 things. But I certainly wouldn't say "I'm not a developer".
42 6. I expect my systems to break and I expect to be able to unbreak them
43 myself when they do. For the most part, they would work for someone who
44 just wanted to surf the web, send and receive email and edit documents
45 in AbiWord or OpenOffice.org.
46
47 So ... am I an "average Gentoo user?"
51 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list