From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Patches on bug reports: thanks but no thanks for the credit
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 16:31:56
1 On Thu, 2013-07-04 at 16:50 +0200, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2 > For a good while now, I have been obsoleting ebuild attachments on as
3 > yet unassigned bug reports and pasting proper unified diffs into
4 > comments. I have been doing this so that the maintainers of these
5 > ebuilds see the actual changes instead of a giant blob of code that the
6 > submitter of the ebuild might want to see in the tree replacing the
7 > original ebuild. Previously I also posted a notice asking submitters to
8 > post unified diffs instead of entire ebuilds, but this didn't have a
9 > noticeable effect so I discontinued that practice in favour of
10 > just posting the unified diffs.
11 >
12 > Unfortunately, this means that I sometimes get credit for posting
13 > such comments. Please make note of the ebuild/diff replacement and
14 > attribute the changes correctly to the submitter, not the messenger. I
15 > shouldn't be getting the credit for them at all.
18 > Regards,
19 > jer
23 Thank you for the extra effort. I appreciate it, although for the one I
24 had recently, it made it harder. I had just migrated the ebuild to the
25 new python eclasses. So the diff included the reversal of those changes
26 too.
27 --
28 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>