From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 09:13:16
1 On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 04:02:50 -0500 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 > On Saturday 03 March 2007, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > If there's some value to be found in having PMS ready by a
5 > > particular date that I'm missing then I want to hear it so that I
6 > > can spend more time working on PMS and less on other things.
7 >
8 > semantics aside, how much time you dedicate is entirely up to you and
9 > really, i dont think there's too many developers who honestly care
10 > how that affects you
11
12 Well yes, but I'm perfectly prepared to reprioritise things if there's
13 a good reason for it. If there's a real need for PMS to be done by a
14 particular date, PMS can be done by said date.
15
16 > i consider having a spelled out EAPI=0 spec to be quite valuable and
17 > worth spending time on and i have to say that i get the feeling that
18 > i'm not alone on this point
19
20 Yes, but I'd like to hear *why*. Not only for the prioritisation
21 aspect, but also to make sure that what's being written matches the
22 needs of the people that will be using it.
23
24 > having a behavior explanation cuts back on the "well it works in
25 > portage so go screw yourself" mentality and replaces it with "package
26 > manger foo does not behave according to spec" which certainly opens
27 > up the door for people to use alternative package managers with the
28 > Gentoo ebuild tree
29
30 So is alternative package manager support something that's considered
31 important and a priority by the Council?
32
33 > (hmm we're gonna have to stop referring to it as the "Gentoo portage
34 > tree" eh)
35
36 Funnily enough, the Paludis class that deals with ebuild trees is
37 called PortageRepository. I don't particularly like the name...
40 Ciaran McCreesh
41 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
42 Web : http://ciaranm.org/
43 Paludis, the secure package manager : http://paludis.pioto.org/