From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fwd: Proposal: Declare udev + hotplugd to be the default
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:23:54
1 On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 10:13:34AM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 09:57, Daniel Armyr wrote:
3 > > >What are your opinions on this?
4 > >
5 > > Please ensure that there is a proper upgrade guide at the time when
6 > > support for devfs is discontinued completely. I assume the upgrade is
7 > > non-trivial to do on an existing system.
8 >
9 > There are no intentions of removing devfs support currently, as it is
10 > required for 2.4 kernels (under Gentoo) since they do not use udev.
11 >
12 > As for the "upgrade" it is quite simple.
13 >
14 > emerge udev
15 >
16 > ...and that's really it. You can test it on a currently-running 2.6
17 > kernel that uses devfs by using devfs=nomount on the kernel command
18 > line. This will cause your system to boot up using udev. If you like
19 > udev, you can remove devfs support from your kernel. There's no kernel
20 > support needed for udev other than hotplug support.
21
22 Actually, it's not that simple in all cases, apparently.
23
24 I have 2.6.7-gentoo-r1 with the usual plethora of drivers for sound,
25 framebuffer, DRI, etc, which works pretty well with devfs.
26
27 However, after merging udev (as per our Udev Guide), something funky
28 happens in boot; all console fonts are erased!
29
30 I see my trusty cursor blinking away, but all text is either black on black,
31 or the font tables have been nuked.
34 Presumably, this is a driver/setup problem that for some reason is not
35 exhibitied using devfs, probably because I don't load the offending driver.
38 I should probably sit down and track down which driver is the culprit, but
39 I've simply not had the time.
42 Just a word of warning.
45 -- Karl T
46
47 <plug>If you like irish coffee, java or other bean brands, join us now and
48 share the software at irc.freenode.org/#gentoo-java</plug>