From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bugzilla package list editing
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 19:08:55
1 On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Michael Jones <gentoo@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > From a non-gentoo developer who seriously looked at joining the community
3 > over the last few years as a new developer, this entire conversation thread
4 > is absurd, and is a wonderful example of why I decided to not bother.
5 >
6 > If you don't want people to edit the field such that it's usable with the
7 > official package manager of the distribution, then change the formatting
8 > rules for the field!
9 >
10 > If you don't want people editing a field, then change the software such that
11 > groups who aren't allowed to edit the field aren't even capable of editing
12 > it!
13 >
14 > Either officially document the expected formatting and permissions, or put
15 > automated enforcement rules into place. Throwing accusations of wrongdoing
16 > around simply because the action in question generates an email is, again,
17 > absurd.
20 While the situation is indeed absurd, and this email will no doubt
21 only fuel your shock, the solution isn't quite that simple.
22
23 Validations probably would help, assuming they can be implemented in bugzilla.
24
25 Permissions are a touchy situation, because the person who is being
26 accused of incorrectly editing the field is also our main bug
27 wrangler, who probably does more bug editing than just about anybody
28 else. So, removing their permissions also removes one of their main
29 areas of contribution to Gentoo.
30
31 One of the issues that keeps coming up is around just how
32 decentralized we are, and that has pros and cons. We're pretty
33 reluctant to actually enforce just about anything, or sometimes we're
34 inconsistent (we let somebody post on the mailing lists, but not
35 github, and so on).
38 Rich