From: Larry Lines <larry@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A User's View of the Code of Conduct
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:52:16
1 I am replying to this email on the coc because I am pretty much coming
2 from the same place as a user. I haven't been that involved with the
3 community but I have been a user since 2002. I am a developer.
4
5 It's funny, because I was considering getting more involved with
6 development with Gentoo because I love Gentoo, so I joined the dev list
7 a couple of days ago. Just in time to see the meat of a really nasty
8 flame war. And I thought, "Wow maybe I don't want to be involved in
9 this at all. Hell maybe I don't really want to use this distro at all
10 anymore."
11
12 But I kept lurking the discussion here and now I think I have changed my
13 mind a bit. I even read the distrowatch article and some of the nastier
14 lklm list exchanges and I have to say. I don't care about the flame
15 wars. Have at it. And who cares what distrowatch has been saying. I
16 remember in 2003 and 2004 reading Debian lists trashing Gentoo as well.
17 Even ridiculing Gentoo. Gentoo is its own bird. You can say that there
18 are choices where other distributions are concerned, but there is no
19 choice for well-managed source distributions. There is only Gentoo. It
20 attracts people that want to do something different and are not afraid
21 of getting into the muck up to their necks. So don't hold back on how
22 you really feel. Let 'em have it. Sling some mud.
23
24 I was the moderator for a message board for artists and musicians for a
25 site I created for a couple of years back in 2000 and 2001. At the
26 time, somehow a couple of topics came up that started a flame war that
27 lasted for months. Philosophy of art and music and people just jumping
28 down each other's throats. I even had some philosophy professors join
29 the board and started some long lasting threads. But people kept
30 getting hurt and sending me email asking what I was going to do. I
31 realized that I was going to have to start making the interactions more
32 complicated with programming if I was going to moderate. I reprogrammed
33 the site and implemented some rules and everybody left. I still run the
34 site but there is very little interest. People wanted a place to argue
35 and I killed it.
36
37 I say forget the CoC. Let the flamers flame on. I think with as vague
38 as people seem to want to keep the CoC it is better just to deal with it
39 in a parliamentary way. When someone goes too far, it will be clear to
40 everyone and everyone will know that they need to get rid of that
41 person. And there is nothing wrong with Gentoo. I learned Linux by
42 installing and hacking and suffering over Gentoo. Exactly one year
43 after installing Gentoo, I was in Hong Kong building and programming for
44 a Linux cluster. There is no other distribution that compresses the
45 learning curve like that. I still can't figure out what is supposed to
46 be easier about running Redhat or Fedora. Sure installation is easier
47 but then you don't know where anything is and you can't tweak anything
48 easily.
49
50 So maybe I will stick around and maybe I will find a niche to help out
51 with that I can feel passionately enough to start a flame war.
52
53 Larry Lines
54