From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: Nils Decker <nils@×××××××.de>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Peer-to-Peer?
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 09:03:17
1 On Friday 19 July 2002 04:20 am, Nils Decker wrote:
2 > Marko Mikulicic <marko@××××.org> wrote:
3 > > Yannick Koehler wrote:
4 > > and then
5 > >
6 > > > propose or take it from the distribution system. Basically the
7 > > > same as ccache ;-)
8 > >
9 > > I like the idea. I was thinking of something similar.
10 > > I think it's possible to hash the use flags used to build
11 > > the package and compare it to the package to be downloaded.
12 >
13 > I see another problem with this. There is no way to make the packages
14 > trusted. In the portage tree, every downloaded file is checked against a
15 > MD5 hash. This means, I have to trust the person who build the port. This
16 > is not a big problem to me, because those people are "near" to the gentoo
17 > core, and everybody can check the MD5s against the official downloads of
18 > the packet.
19
20 Yeah, we need a keyright of GPG public keys for gentoo developers, and a GPG
21 signature for each ebuild (which in turn already contains an MD5 sum for all
22 the source URLs in the digest file).
23
24 They keyring would have to be (a) bought with a CD ordered directly from
25 gentoo, (b) downloaded from the gentoo website (not perfectly secure, but
26 "good enough" for most people) or (c) obtained in person (credit card CDRs
27 anyone) from Gentoo representatives at free software/linux conferences.
28
29 Then we could pull ebuilds of the P2P network, check the signatures against a
30 trusted keyring and verify that the ebuild is bona fide, then pull the
31 tarball in off the same P2P network, and emerge as usual (emerge already
32 checks the MD5 sum, the important part is making sure the ebuild itself is
33 trustworthy).
34
35 There are good performance reasons to consider this approach in addition to
36 the current method of distribution, but there are also good geo-political
37 reasons for doing this: distribution of legally Free Software (as opposed to
38 warez, pr0n, and infringing mp3s). When Hollywood tries to shut down FreeNet
39 we could point to it as an infrastructure that is used for the widespread
40 dissemination of GNU/Linux (or at least Gentoo), and whatever infringement is
41 going on is as secondary as it is for other protocols like FTP and HTTP.
42
43 The performance boost though is IMHO reason enough to at least consider the
44 idea (though the idea of precompiled binary packages is utterly uninteresting
45 to me, the ability to get source tarballs and ebuilds more readilly, without
46 having the 'emerge sync' fail because a site is maxed out is compelling).
47
48 My $0.02 (what is that, 0.01 Euro these days?)
49
50 Jean.