From: Nils Decker <nils@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Peer-to-Peer?
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 04:18:43
1 Marko Mikulicic <marko@××××.org> wrote:
2 > Yannick Koehler wrote:
3 > and then
4 > > propose or take it from the distribution system. Basically the
5 > > same as ccache ;-)
8 > I like the idea. I was thinking of something similar.
9 > I think it's possible to hash the use flags used to build
10 > the package and compare it to the package to be downloaded.
11
12 I see another problem with this. There is no way to make the packages trusted.
13 In the portage tree, every downloaded file is checked against a MD5 hash.
14 This means, I have to trust the person who build the port. This is not
15 a big problem to me, because those people are "near" to the gentoo core,
16 and everybody can check the MD5s against the official downloads of the packet.
17
18 I can't do this sort of check agains precompiled binaries, because every binary
19 would have a different MD5. The only way to check would to compile the package
20 myself with the same flags, thus defeating the purpose.
21 Using those binary packages means to trust every user of gentoo, that he
22 doesn't put trojans or whatever on my system.
23
24 My 0,02 EUR
25 Nils
28 The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to
29 constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every
30 appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA
31 statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This
32 also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
33
34 -- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers
35 Nils Decker <ndecker@×××.de>