From: Marko Mikulicic <marko@××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Peer-to-Peer?
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 18:24:08
1 Yannick Koehler wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
6 >>Appart from the trust issue, the major problem is comparing the two
7 >>systems. It is unlikely they are exactly the same. But even if they
8 are, it
9 >>is a hell of a job finding out. The only way such a distribution for
10 >>binaries works is with a binary only distribution like,..... (you know
11 >>who).
14 > Portage keeps certain file which help on this such as
15 > /var/db/pkg/<cat>/<name>/CFLAGS and USE. Maybe they could be named
16 on the
17 > ftp server to
18 >
19 > <name>.specification
20 > <name>.tar.gz
21 >
22 > So that emerge download the .specification, validate the similarity
23 and then
24 > propose or take it from the distribution system. Basically the same as
25 > ccache ;-)
28 I like the idea. I was thinking of something similar.
29 I think it's possible to hash the use flags used to build
30 the package and compare it to the package to be downloaded.
31
32 However I doubt of the practical usefulness of a global peer-to-peer
33 solution. I have an 128bps upstream bandwidth and everyone going to
34 copy compiled kde-3.0 from me would compile it faster on PIII500 (~).
35 Since the userbase not so big as *pster and the number of combinations
36 of use flags is big, it is not very likely to find a package provided by
37 a fast host.
38
39 I think it can be useful in a lan where, for whatever reasion, the
40 machines doesn't share the same use flag configuration. If a package
41 desn't use the "mysql" use-flag then it doesn't depend of having it or not.
42
43 Marko