From: Arcady Genkin <agenkin@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: Tom Newsom <Jeepster@××××××.uk>
Subject: NVIDIA stuff (was: [gentoo-dev] Point of fact.)
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 21:35:48
1 Tom Newsom <Jeepster@××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > Whoever gets this, if your in #gentoo then you`ll know me by the nick
4 > Jeepster.
5
6 Looking for trouble, aren't you? ;^)
7
8 > It isnt a quirk, the paths that quake,UT etc look in for GL libs is a
9 > standard place, when nvidia decided a while ago to create linux drivers
10 > they decided on a standard place for thier libs to be, that being
11 > /usr/lib and also they *had* to alter some XFree libs and links.
12
13 Hard coding library paths[1] in an application is plain wrong. The
14 problem lies with the programs that do that.
15
16 And who said that /usr/lib is the standard place? What if I
17 maintained the GL libraries locally, and had them installed some place
18 under /usr/local?
19
20 NVIDIA took the easy way out. Their Makefiles are horrible kludges,
21 if you ask my opinion. I just hope that the person(s), who works on
22 the drivers' code is different from the one that works on the
23 installation subsystem. ;^)
24
25 Anyhow what NVIDIA does is it overwrites files in your installation,
26 without asking for your consent, giving you any choice, or even
27 backing them up. Do you think that this is the right way to install
28 software?
29
30 Guess what happens:
31 1. when you reinstall Xfree?
32 [.oop-oop og sbil s'AIDIVN]
33 2. if you choose to uninstall NVIDIA's packages?
34 [.pu emoc ton dluow X yhw tuo gnirugif kcul dooG]
35
36 > Once you accept you`re nvidia portage files sent the libs to the wrong
37 > place then you will fix your "quirk"
38 >
39 > I can if you wish get a guy who started the nvidia drivers to come into
40 > #gentoo and tell you why you`re /opt/ place is wrong.
41
42 Oh-oh! Not the guy who wrote the Makefiles, I hope! Or else your
43 argument from authority is just not going to work.
44
45 Footnotes:
46 [1] Or any other paths, except for the ones to files of the package
47 itself, for that matter.
48 --
49 Arcady Genkin
50 Don't read everything you believe.