From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Deprecating EAPI0
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 19:45:59
1 On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > with the discussion about EAPI3 we have now 4 (or 7, depending on how you
5 > count them ;) ) EAPIs available or almost available. This is getting quite
6 > confusing.
7
8 Be more specific, what actual problems have you encountered?
9 What are some other ways we could mitigate these issues (it seems like
10 tool improvements could be a big one here)?
11
12 > To make our lives easier I would suggest deprecating EAPI0 and migrating
13 > existing ebuilds over some time to EAPI1 or higher until EAPI0 can be
14 > obsoleted at some point in the future.
15 > I would set the start of deprecation warnings about 3 months from now and the
16 > obsoletion quite a time later, maybe 12 months from now, when a sufficient
17 > amount of ebuilds has been migrated.
18
19 I am interested in the number of ebuilds at specific APIs in the tree,
20 do you have those numbers?
21 Basically, how much work is this (raw ebuild count)?
24 > Deprecating EAPI1 at the same time would reduce the amount of EAPIs we have to
25 > think about, but since it has some changes like adding src_prepare migration
26 > would not be as trivial. So I'd prefer keeping it around a bit longer.
27 >
28 > Comments?
31 > Patrick