From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for November
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 13:13:24
1 On 11/7/06, Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > I accept that has been the position. As for devs not wanting to do it, I'm
3 > thinking it would be part of the standard emerge process (ie binhost/PKGDIR
4 > and -b) but you would need to add tagging of USE flags if the binary format
5 > ATM does not include which flags were used.
6 >
7 > So yes, it might add time/ network in terms of uploading but nothing else.
8
9 Sorry, that's not correct.
10
11 If random-joe-developer simply uploaded whatever packages he has
12 locally to a central repository, you'll just end up with a large
13 binary mess. The binary packages need to be built as a set, to be
14 sure that there is no ABI breakage going on.
15
16 > Stuart Herbert wrote:
17 > > If the Seeds project proves successful, I'd be interested in providing
18 > > binary packages for seeds. Whether that'll be as part of Gentoo, or
19 > > whether it'll be better to move downstream (so to speak) to do so is
20 > > up for debate.
21 > >
22 > So you are looking to provide /some/ sort of binary packages as part of an
23 > official Gentoo project then.
24
25 See above. I'm interested in providing binary packages for updating
26 systems, yes - systems that are running seeds. Whether they're
27 provided through Gentoo or not hasn't yet been discussed at all. We
28 need to actually finish and release the LAMP Server seed first :)
29
30 I'm not interested in providing binary packages for a generic Gentoo
31 'binary' release. My personal opinion is that this isn't what Gentoo
32 is about.
33
34 > I accept that for the enterprise compiling from source may well be better,
35 > based on Robin Johnson's reply. However this point about system breakage is
36 > serious *for users*.
37
38 Yes - but binary packages on their own have nothing to do with
39 preventing system breakage. You're chasing completely the wrong bus
40 to solve that problem.
41
42 Best regards,
43 Stu