From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: mirroring distfiles/patches on patches.gentoo.org
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 00:26:28
1 On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 12:51:59AM +0200, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
2 > Alec Warner wrote:
3 > >> Those get uploaded and look fine but after 6 months they are suddenly
4 > >> being removed by the script.
5 > >>
6 > >
7 > > There is a distfiles whitelist[1] for this exact purpose...isn't there?
8 > >
9 > > [1]
10 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/infrastructure/mirrors/overview-distfile.xml
11 >
12 > Thanks for the heads up. I was not aware of this when I was looking for a
13 > solution badly back then. Must be a rather recent development. Looks easy
14 > and straightforward - even deleting is possible. Good job, guys :)
15
16 I added whitelist over 18 months ago... not a new feature, although
17 infra finally updated the documentation to finally be accurate :)
18
19 And correcting vapier in this email, mirror-dist has been running the
20 show since around 04/05 - 05/05; not june/july of this year...
23 > Still the developer needs to know about it and think of it in the moment of
24 > adding mirror restrictions to an ebuild with mirror://gentoo sources. A
25 > risk that is not going to be taken in any of my ebuilds.
26
27 Whitelist protects files that have a long term (> 2 weeks) refcount of
28 0; freebsd stages being the usual example [1]. mirror restricted
29 ebuilds that have mirror://gentoo/ (and just mirror://gentoo/) have a
30 refcount of 1, thus they do *not* need to be whitelisted.
31
32 In general, ebuild maintainers have no valid reason to be screwing
33 with whitelists unless they're doing stages, or (odd case) need to
34 ensure a file is on mirrors for test purposes, mirrorselect in this
35 case.
36
37 Thats a polite way of saying the impolite "stick random crap in the
38 whitelist, and I'll make a dev cut off your balls" :)
39
40 Whitelist totally bypasses all measures to keep the mirror image at a
41 sane size; it's intended strictly for material that is *not* ref'd by
42 an ebuild, and has a *valid* reason to be in the mirror tier.
43
44 Short version: if you're not a stage monkey, you shouldn't be touching
45 whitelists.
48 > I hope the people that prefer mirror://gentoo know about the issue and the
49 > solution :)
50
51 Think you need to lay out other reasons... thus far you seem to be
52 forgetting about a change *you* forced through.
53
54 ~harring
55
56 [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/infra/distfiles/failure.xml#doc_chap6