From: Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC]: gentoo-politics ML
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 16:52:23
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Kumba wrote:
5 > Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh wrote:
6 >> We might need some sort of enforcement for that particular purpose.
7 >> While I think that "behavior" proctors are inappropriate, I think that
8 >> people with ability to say "move this thread to gentoo-politics or
9 >> else.."
10 >> for non-technical threads, as well as "stop failing to use logic in your
11 >> technical discussion or else..." with power to temporarily ban people
12 >> for non-compliance could be a useful thing.
15 > IMHO, any enforcement needs to come from the developer community
16 > themselves. We have to be careful when designating small groups of
17 > people with power, because the dark side of power is that can can be
18 > misused. The model of developers collectively enforcing works well
19 > already: the Portage Tree. While we've had small mishaps here and
20 > there, largely, the honesty system used on the tree has worked quite
21 > well. I think that can easily extend to keeping -dev technical in
22 > nature only. After all, it already works for the wayward users who
23 > posts a -user question to -dev. Just a simple, courteous note that such
24 > a question is better asked on -user, and off they go. Nothing precludes
25 > the same response for a fellow developer posting a non-technical mail
26 > into -dev.
27 >
28 > But anyways, we've got unanimous support so far, so next up: What to
29 > call it.
30 >
31 > My two choices are gentoo-politics or gentoo-project. After looking at
32 > debian-project a bit, I think there's no harm in recycling the same
33 > moniker[1] for our use as well. Amusingly enough, there's even a thread
34 > on their ML today about discussion of of-topic topics. The rest of the
35 > content there seems to be right in line with what's been on here too as
36 > of late.
37 >
38 > So, what should we call it? Vote on this! I think the current popular
39 > names are the following (in no particular order, just what I've already
40 > seen suggested):
41 >
42 > gentoo-politics
43 > gentoo-circuits