From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC]: gentoo-politics ML
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 03:23:23
1 Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh wrote:
2 > We might need some sort of enforcement for that particular purpose.
3 > While I think that "behavior" proctors are inappropriate, I think that
4 > people with ability to say "move this thread to gentoo-politics or else.."
5 > for non-technical threads, as well as "stop failing to use logic in your
6 > technical discussion or else..." with power to temporarily ban people
7 > for non-compliance could be a useful thing.
10 IMHO, any enforcement needs to come from the developer community themselves. We
11 have to be careful when designating small groups of people with power, because
12 the dark side of power is that can can be misused. The model of developers
13 collectively enforcing works well already: the Portage Tree. While we've had
14 small mishaps here and there, largely, the honesty system used on the tree has
15 worked quite well. I think that can easily extend to keeping -dev technical in
16 nature only. After all, it already works for the wayward users who posts a
17 -user question to -dev. Just a simple, courteous note that such a question is
18 better asked on -user, and off they go. Nothing precludes the same response for
19 a fellow developer posting a non-technical mail into -dev.
20
21 But anyways, we've got unanimous support so far, so next up: What to call it.
22
23 My two choices are gentoo-politics or gentoo-project. After looking at
24 debian-project a bit, I think there's no harm in recycling the same moniker[1]
25 for our use as well. Amusingly enough, there's even a thread on their ML today
26 about discussion of of-topic topics. The rest of the content there seems to be
27 right in line with what's been on here too as of late.
28
29 So, what should we call it? Vote on this! I think the current popular names
30 are the following (in no particular order, just what I've already seen suggested):
31
32 gentoo-politics
33 gentoo-circuits
34 gentoo-soap
35 gentoo-project
36 gentoo-gossip
39 [1]: http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/
42 --Kumba
45 Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
46
47 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
48 do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
49 --
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list