From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] AMD64 Arch Testers needed urgently
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 12:16:09
1 On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 7:07 AM, Aaron W. Swenson <titanofold@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 2017-12-14 13:58, Kent Fredric wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 21:58:05 +0100
4 >> Slightly modified suggestion:
5 >>
6 >> Add a flag called "autostabilize" with [unset], [y], [n]
7 >>
8 >> Default is 'unset', and if found unset after a given time, it flips to
9 >> y and the stable bot gets queued up.
10 >>
11 >> If its set to 'n', then stable bot never does anything.
12 >>
13 >> This way maintainers who want to rush the stablebot on things they
14 >> consider "safe" can get ahead of the queue.
15 >
16 > Well, we kind of have that already with “Runtime testing required” (RTR).
17 >
18 > RTR=no stablereqs are good candidates for automation.
19 >
20 > If everything has been properly handled in the ebuild, then an emerge
21 > should succeed. And, RTR being set to “No” indicates that there aren’t any
22 > tests to perform other than those defined and handled within the ebuild.
23
24 I'm not sure runtime testing is the only use case for preventing
25 auto-stabilization.
26
27 The example of KDE/Gnome was brought up where large number of packages
28 need to be stabilized at the same time. I'm not sure this is actually
29 a factor that should prevent auto-stabilization, since these packages
30 should have the correct dependencies and the stabilization system
31 would definitely need to be dependency-aware (which would lead to them
32 being stabilized as a group automatically). If these require runtime
33 testing then they fall into the existing use case.
34
35 Does anybody actually have a reason to prevent stabilization other
36 than for runtime testing, assuming that stabilization is done in a
37 manner where all dependencies are satisfied at all times?
38
39 Maybe runtime testing really ought to be the only reason to prevent
40 auto stabilization...
43 Rich