From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] handbook feedback
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:54:45
1 On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 14:14, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 10:53:31AM -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > I'll look into the quickinstall a bit more and see what I can do to
4 > > help, as one of the main complaints we got at Linux World was about the
5 > > install process. It ranged from "When are we going to see a graphical
6 > > installer?" to "The installation documents are simply way too long to
7 > > bother reading."
8 >
9 > Yeah, that's a double-edged situation. Some people prefer no-nonsense, quick
10 > 'n dirty information on what to do (12 lines is sufficient for me to remember
11 > what to do to install a Gentoo system), others really need that extra
12 > paragraph explaining what that little command really does.
13 >
14 > From documentation project PoV, having an extensive document explaining every
15 > step of the installation process is the primary concern. It is a lot easier
16 > for advanced users to diagonally read the installation instructions than to
17 > have users deal with unknown situations through google :)
18
19 I agree with you completely, which is why I am throwing my hat in on
20 creating a "Quickstart Guide" so to speak. A very quick and simple list
21 of steps, with links to the full explanation in the handbook provided
22 someone get stuck on something in particular.
25 Chris Gianelloni
26 Developer, Gentoo Linux
27 Games Team
28