From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] handbook feedback
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:15:00
1 On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 10:53:31AM -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > I'll look into the quickinstall a bit more and see what I can do to
3 > help, as one of the main complaints we got at Linux World was about the
4 > install process. It ranged from "When are we going to see a graphical
5 > installer?" to "The installation documents are simply way too long to
6 > bother reading."
7
8 Yeah, that's a double-edged situation. Some people prefer no-nonsense, quick
9 'n dirty information on what to do (12 lines is sufficient for me to remember
10 what to do to install a Gentoo system), others really need that extra
11 paragraph explaining what that little command really does.
12
13 From documentation project PoV, having an extensive document explaining every
14 step of the installation process is the primary concern. It is a lot easier
15 for advanced users to diagonally read the installation instructions than to
16 have users deal with unknown situations through google :)
17
18 Wkr,
19 Sven Vermeulen
22 ^__^ And Larry saw that it was Good.