From: Gustavo Adolfo Silva Ribeiro Felisberto <humpback@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 22:59:01
1 On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:45:11 -0500
2 Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi Kurt,
5 >
6 > This is an awesome GLEP idea, and I'm glad it finally got put into
7 > written words. The one suggestion I have, which I am sure is up for a
8 > large amount of criticism, is that I think Gentoo should charge a fee
9 > for the use of this tree. This is, in my opinion, a premium service,
10 > and a I believe it should come with a premium price, even if it's as
11 > low as 5 dollars per quarter.
12
13 I am a developer for the last 3 weeks and i had to sign a not where i
14 say all work i submit must be covered by GPL-2 . So if we where to
15 charge for access nothing could be done to keep people from legally
16 providing the tree.
17
18 Kurt's idea of charging for premium servers might be better, but only on
19 the day that Gentoo pay's for the hosting/bandwidth of it's servers, and
20 right now we are a sponsored project.
21
22 Maybe lisa's idea of "please remember the paypal sponsor link" is
23 better.
26 Gustavo Felisberto
27 (HumpBack)
29 It's most certainly GNU/Linux, not Linux. Read more at
30 http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html .