From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: new global USE flag gtk3
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 10:48:23
1 >>>>> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014, Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
2
3 > I see. So you want USE="gtk gtk3" to mean the same thing that gnome
4 > team had intended USE="gtk" to mean, which is to say, "pick
5 > whichever gtk version that is the most sensible".
6
7 Exactly.
8
9 > That could work. There are already a few ebuilds, e.g. audacious,
10 > with REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( gtk gtk3 )" - so before this unfortunate
11 > practice spreads further, the gnome team would need to note on the
12 > wiki to make sure other developers know why this is especially
13 > undesirable for the gtk/gtk3 flag pair.
14
15 Devs should really follow the policy outlined in the devmanual.
16 REQUIRED_USE was introduced to solve a specific problem with USE
17 dependencies (which can break if a USE flag is ignored in an ebuild
18 because it is superseded by another one). It shouldn't be used all
19 over the place.
20
21 We don't want users having to solve a Zebra Puzzle [1] (or, for the
22 more theoretically inclined, a satisfiability problem [2]) to find
23 an acceptable combination of their USE flags.
24
25 Ulrich
26
27 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_Puzzle