From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: new global USE flag gtk3
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 15:32:51
1 On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 11:48:11 +0100
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 > We don't want users having to solve a Zebra Puzzle [1] (or, for the
4 > more theoretically inclined, a satisfiability problem [2]) to find
5 > an acceptable combination of their USE flags.
6
7 Actually, REQUIRED_USE was introduced precisely to require users to
8 solve SAT without help... As you may recall, we *were* going to use
9 pkg_pretend for this sort of thing to give the users a friendly error
10 message, but this was replaced at the last minute with REQUIRED_USE to
11 force package manglers to reduce the quality of error message that's
12 produced.
13
14 So really we should just scrap REQUIRED_USE in EAPI 6, and migrate any
15 ebuilds currently using it to a sane alternative.
18 Ciaran McCreesh