From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: new global USE flag gtk3
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:42:19
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 Ciaran McCreesh:
5 > On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 11:48:11 +0100 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 >> We don't want users having to solve a Zebra Puzzle [1] (or, for
8 >> the more theoretically inclined, a satisfiability problem [2]) to
9 >> find an acceptable combination of their USE flags.
10 >
11 > Actually, REQUIRED_USE was introduced precisely to require users
12 > to solve SAT without help... As you may recall, we *were* going to
13 > use pkg_pretend for this sort of thing to give the users a friendly
14 > error message, but this was replaced at the last minute with
15 > REQUIRED_USE to force package manglers to reduce the quality of
16 > error message that's produced.
17 >
18 > So really we should just scrap REQUIRED_USE in EAPI 6, and migrate
19 > any ebuilds currently using it to a sane alternative.
23 One thing that bothers me most about gentoo is a discussion I had with
24 a colleague who uses FreeBSD. It ended up like... gentoo is
25 interesting, but wtf all those USE flags and no idea how to even get
26 something to build without reading through forum threads, mailing
27 lists, et c. ... and finally trying to get help on IRC.
28 That guy is not new to linux. And he is right.
29
30 Usability is not our strongest thing. That's why I pushed for a clear
31 decision on this matter, because the whole thing is already confusing
32 and weird enough for new users. The new python eclasses and multilib
33 added to that complexity (but that will hopefully be gone when the
34 transition is over, more or less). People who regularly hack and play
35 with gentoo don't have any problem with those things and quickly get
36 ideas about emerge conflicts based on experience... where a new user
37 would never get to the root of the problem and just give up.
38
39 But the question is... what sane alternative to REQUIRED_USE? That
40 will also have impact on a lot of eclasses.
43 Also... I find mgornys idea not too bad, meaning USE flag naming
44 should be feature oriented and not implementation oriented. That is
45 definitely an issue QA has to comment on. But I really feel we will
46 get some hate from people who try to avoid certain implementations for
47 one or another reason. And there can be valid reasons. So those people
48 will have to use alternatives like package.mask.
49 Another problem I see is that e.g. "gui" could be a bit too generic.
50 If some dev uses it for an ncurses gui in his ebuild... then we have
51 successfully screwed up easy setup of X-less servers, because "-gui"
52 will also kill all non-X guis.
53 Anyway... what we can do to improve the overall situation while
54 discussing this: use proper local USE flag descriptions.
55 "Add support for x11-libs/gtk+ (The GIMP Toolkit)" is totally useless
56 in 95% of the cases. Still... a lot of ebuilds don't override that
57 description. So I often end up actually unpacking the source tarball
58 and reading the configure description. Fail.