From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in media-sound/cdparanoia: ChangeLog cdparanoia-3.10.2-r3.ebuild
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 11:42:41
In Reply to: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in media-sound/cdparanoia: ChangeLog cdparanoia-3.10.2-r3.ebuild by Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net>
1 On Sunday 23 October 2011 13:34:20 Duncan wrote:
2 > Interestingly enough, unless I've misunderstood, this issue would be
3 > affected by the recent security-based -fPIC/-fPIE on amd64 by default
4 > discussion as well, since if everything (including static libs) were
5 > built with at least -fPIC as required for dynamic linking, then a single
6 > build, linked once each for static and dynamic, as common on x86 (32-bit)
7 > would be at least arguably acceptable. (IOW, my point here isn't to
8 > argue whether that'd be acceptable or not, but rather, that the forced
9 > double-build factor on amd64 is much more an issue than simple double-
10 > linking would be.)
11
12 it would be impacted, but not in the way you think. static libs we'd compile
13 with -fPIE while dynamic libs we'd compile with -fPIC. these flags share a
14 lot, but they aren't exactly the same. -fPIE allows a few assumptions over -
15 fPIC which, for some code bases, improves performance.
16 -mike