From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in media-sound/cdparanoia: ChangeLog cdparanoia-3.10.2-r3.ebuild
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 17:35:29
1 Andreas K. Huettel posted on Sun, 23 Oct 2011 15:50:04 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > I'd like to get my standards up to speed, so may I respectfully ask-
4 > what is,
5 > apart from link time, the Gentoo-user-visible difference between *
6 > removing the .a files in the ebuild * and not building them in the first
7 > place?
8
9 If it was only link-time, that might be a point for simply removing them
10 after link.
11
12 But if static libs are built at all, on amd64, it's not simply the link-
13 time at issue, but forces an actual double-build at least for the libs,
14 once with -fPIC for dynamic linking, once without, for the static libs,
15 (and executables if any).
16
17 Ask the mysql guys about the trouble they had with mysql-embedded on
18 amd64, and the kde guys about the trouble with amarok for kde4 on amd64,
19 as a result.
20
21 Interestingly enough, unless I've misunderstood, this issue would be
22 affected by the recent security-based -fPIC/-fPIE on amd64 by default
23 discussion as well, since if everything (including static libs) were
24 built with at least -fPIC as required for dynamic linking, then a single
25 build, linked once each for static and dynamic, as common on x86 (32-bit)
26 would be at least arguably acceptable. (IOW, my point here isn't to
27 argue whether that'd be acceptable or not, but rather, that the forced
28 double-build factor on amd64 is much more an issue than simple double-
29 linking would be.)
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman