From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in media-sound/cdparanoia: ChangeLog cdparanoia-3.10.2-r3.ebuild
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 13:51:03
1 On Sonntag 23 Oktober 2011 15:34:30 Samuli Suominen wrote:
2
3 > If you only wanted to remove these files, you are free to use
4 > INSTALL_MASK locally instead of downgrading the quality of tree.
5 >
6 > Do you have any idea how much time me, and aballier spent to make
7 > cdparanoia's build system as clean as it is now? And then to coordinate
8 > them with upstream xiph.org?
9 > Then I see this... Not acceptable by any standards.
10
11 I'd like to get my standards up to speed, so may I respectfully ask- what is,
12 apart from link time, the Gentoo-user-visible difference between
13 * removing the .a files in the ebuild
14 * and not building them in the first place?
15
16 (A clean build system is of course desirable, and it's great that you have
17 been helping upstream with that. I just dont understand how this affects "the
18 quality of the tree", compared to "the quality of upstream sources".)
19
20 TIA,
21 Andreas
25 Andreas K. Huettel