From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:22:21
1 On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:59:23 +0200
2 Eldad Zack <eldad@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tuesday 16 November 2004 22:14, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > > On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:08:06 +0100 Alexander Gretencord
6 > > <arutha@×××.de> 3. You *really* don't want every einfo logged.
7 > > Trust me, I already do this, and it's messy. einfo wasn't
8 > > designed to be logged, it was designed to display a message to
9 > > the user during a build. It'd be a heck of a lot easier to go
10 > > through and convert those few critical messages to use a
11 > > function like 'elog' or somesuch.
12 >
13 > I'm all for this (I originally called it "enotice"), but the
14 > idea was shot done due to the fact that it would take alot of
15 > ebuild patching around. And regarding hairy einfos: a possible
16 > workaround could be filtering all the standard stuff ("applying
17 > x.patch ..."/"libtoolizing") or maybe just converting the
18 > patching/libtoolizing function to use something like "enolog".
19 > That would require MUCH less manual labor around the tree if
20 > this is accepted...
21
22 I think that most einfos from ebuilds actually worth to be in
23 logs. The useless ones are in general the ones from eclasses
24 ("applying patch foobar.diff", "updating scrollkeeper", etc.).
25 What i had done in my bug #37491 patches was logging einfo, and
26 providing a different command for less important messages that
27 only worth being lost with the rest of the compilation output.
28 This way, updating eclasses would be enough to get pretty clean
29 logs i think.
32 TGL.
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list