From: Eldad Zack <eldad@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:04:39
1 On Tuesday 16 November 2004 22:14, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:08:06 +0100 Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
3 > 3. You *really* don't want every einfo logged. Trust me, I already do
4 > this, and it's messy. einfo wasn't designed to be logged, it was
5 > designed to display a message to the user during a build. It'd be a heck
6 > of a lot easier to go through and convert those few critical messages to
7 > use a function like 'elog' or somesuch.
8
9 I'm all for this (I originally called it "enotice"), but the idea was shot
10 done due to the fact that it would take alot of ebuild patching around.
11 And regarding hairy einfos: a possible workaround could be filtering all the
12 standard stuff ("applying x.patch ..."/"libtoolizing") or maybe just
13 converting the patching/libtoolizing function to use something like "enolog".
14 That would require MUCH less manual labor around the tree if this is
15 accepted...
20 Eldad Zack <eldad@g.o>
21 Key/Fingerprint at pgp.mit.edu, ID 0x96EA0A93