From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Corvus Corax <corvus-ml@×××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Enemy Territory ebuild
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:09:11
1 On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 09:31, Corvus Corax wrote:
2 > Am Sat, 18 Oct 2003 09:30:36 -0400
3 > schrieb Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>:
4 >
5 > > I want to ask the opinion of everyone. I updated Enemy-Territory
6 > > yesterday to close two bugs. In doing so, I made the decision to make
7 > > the newest version of Enemy Territory use the new full download. I have
8 > > had requests from people to have the full download, rather than the
9 > > original download + patches, as the ebuild.
10 > >
11 > > Well, I am thinking of breaking up the enemy-territory ebuilds into two
12 > > ebuilds. There would be an enemy-territory ebuild, which would use the
13 > > original download + patches (and therefore be dial-up friendly) and the
14 > > enemy-territory-full ebuild, which would always download and install the
15 > > complete game from the most recent version. This should satisfy both
16 > > camps and also make the ebuild a bit more dial-up friendly.
17 > >
18 > > Thoughts? Opinions? Flames?
19 > >
20 > > --
21 > > Chris Gianelloni
22 > > Developer, Gentoo Linux
23 > > Games Team
24 > >
25 > > Is your power animal a penguin?
28 > I'd say, pack it into one ebuild and make it intelligent, some check like
29 > "if an old tar.gz is already installed, download just the needed patches and patch,
30 > but if it has to be downloaded anyway, download the newer "full" installation"
31 > that saves the users from having to download both,
32 > for example when installing the original .56 yesterday
33 > and upgrading from .56 to .56-r1 today (grrrrr)
34
35 First off, if you notice, the only change is in installation. The
36 actual end result is the same. I really should *not* have bumped the
37 revision on the package, since the only changes are to the installation
38 packaging and not to the final game. To be honest, I shouldn't have
39 bothered to change anything, since ours was working fine. There are
40 simply some people out there who see that there is a new version of
41 something and immediately file bugs for them without researching the
42 actual changes. I just went and completed the bug without looking into
43 it too heavily. Once I started getting people complaining about the
44 changes to the ebuild (downloading the new full version and not
45 patching), I looked into it more closely and saw that the ONLY change
46 was to the makeself archive itself and not to the actual game.
47
48 At this point, I don't really know what I should do. Should I simply
49 leave things how they are and not worry about it at all until a new
50 revision of the game is released? Should I mask the new ebuild? Remove
51 the old?
52
53 I am inclined to just leave things as they are now saying "What's done
54 is done" and just being glad that we even have this game in portage
55 still.
56
57 I also think I'm going to ignore ANY bug which has the name TTimo posted
58 in it... ;p
59
60 (For the humor impaired, that last part was a joke pointing back to the
61 entire licensing fiasco, which really did not exist since TTimo is not
62 actually an id Software employee.)
65 Chris Gianelloni
66 Developer, Gentoo Linux
67 Games Team