From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Cc: gentoo-cygwin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo/Cygwin?
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:33:46
1 tchiwam wrote:
2
3 > Patrick Dawson wrote:
4 >
5 >> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Does anyone have any information on what Gentoo/Cygwin is? Who is in
8 >>> charge of this, and is it really at the stage where we should be
9 >>> recruiting people to work on it? I'm *extremely* wary of the idea of
10 >>> this kind of thing being committed without prior discussion -- there's
11 >>> far more difference between anything we currently have and Cygwin than
12 >>> there is between osx or bsd and linux-gnu, and we know how much work
13 >>> those two are already...
17 >> I think Patrick Lauer is the only one who's actually doing stuff with
18 >> Gentoo/Cygwin at the moment, so ask him. Judging by the extreme lack
19 >> of activity on the gentoo-cygwin list, I don't think it's nearly at
20 >> the stage where recruitment should start.
24 > I would think this port would potentially open the biggest market to
25 > gentoo, and the scariest one too...
26
27 I'm not sure I agree that the market is either big or scary. CygWin is a
28 niche -- Linux folk constrained by corporate policies to run Windows; a
29 fast way to get some open source tools up and running on a Windows
30 system until a native port is available. It *isn't* dual boot, and it
31 *isn't* VMWare Workstation. It *is*, however, gcc, grep, perl, sort,
32 xorg-x11, guile, ruby, apache, postgres, clisp, etc., essentially all
33 compatible with other GNU-based environments.
34
35 I work in a mixed Windows/Linux environment. Out of perhaps 150 - 200
36 software engineers, two that I know of are using CygWin -- myself and
37 another engineer on the same team that builds the same tools I do. I'm
38 sort of a "Johnny Appleseed" of tools where I work; I test out stuff
39 like Gentoo, CygWin, R, ns/nam, etc. at home and sneak them into the lab. :)
42 > In order I would say:
43 > -Learn about OSX and "system provided services"
44
45 I've come within a gnat's eyebrow of buying a Macintosh on several
46 occasions, mostly because there are quite a few music tools that only
47 run there. However, those tools, or their open source "equivalents", are
48 mostly available under GNU/Linux. When I buy a 64-bit machine I'll take
49 a look at both Macs and AMD-64s (and Intel 64-bit chips if they have
50 anything in my price range). In any event, surely OSX is a bigger market
51 than CygWin.
54 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list