From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New virtuals for libudev and libgudev
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 05:36:24
1 On 29/03/14 22:27, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike) wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > El 29/03/14 05:13, Samuli Suominen escribió:
5 >> I took the liberty to unbreak the tree for you. Don't ever touch my
6 >> packages again unless
7 >> they are broken.
8 > Udev is broken:
9 > * They have known off by one string handling errors on their libraries,
10 > the developers were warned of that but have chosen to ignore the issue.
11 > The issue is still on
12 > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/shared/strxcpyx.c
13 > on the function size_t strpcpyf(char **dest, size_t size, const char
14 > *src, ...) which can overflow the string boundaries in some case. This
15 > issue keeps coming up from time to time thanks to their "nice" efforts
16 > for cahnging the whole thing instead of fixing bugs. Also after a year
17 > nothing has been done.
18 > * They keep losing cohesion
19 > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohesion_%28computer_science%29) by
20 > inserting more and more unrelated software into Udev/systemd. This helps
21 > things like the above happen again.
22 > * They have the bad habit of recoding functions that are already
23 > provided by their only supported c library. This helps things like the
24 > above happen.ç
25 > * They keep reengineering everything reintroducing bugs that were fixed
26 > on previous iterations.
27 >
28 > Thus given the potential security issues udev (and systemd) have, the
29 > poor design decissions, and the lack of interest in their maintainers of
30 > fixing these, I'd strongly recommend masking it as was done with packets
31 > like wordpress or at least putting a big warning to the users.
34 You are confusing the mailing list with bugzilla. Enough said.