From: "Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike)" <klondike@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New virtuals for libudev and libgudev
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 20:27:41
1 Hi!
2
3 El 29/03/14 05:13, Samuli Suominen escribió:
4 > I took the liberty to unbreak the tree for you. Don't ever touch my
5 > packages again unless
6 > they are broken.
7 Udev is broken:
8 * They have known off by one string handling errors on their libraries,
9 the developers were warned of that but have chosen to ignore the issue.
10 The issue is still on
11 http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/shared/strxcpyx.c
12 on the function size_t strpcpyf(char **dest, size_t size, const char
13 *src, ...) which can overflow the string boundaries in some case. This
14 issue keeps coming up from time to time thanks to their "nice" efforts
15 for cahnging the whole thing instead of fixing bugs. Also after a year
16 nothing has been done.
17 * They keep losing cohesion
18 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohesion_%28computer_science%29) by
19 inserting more and more unrelated software into Udev/systemd. This helps
20 things like the above happen again.
21 * They have the bad habit of recoding functions that are already
22 provided by their only supported c library. This helps things like the
23 above happen.ç
24 * They keep reengineering everything reintroducing bugs that were fixed
25 on previous iterations.
26
27 Thus given the potential security issues udev (and systemd) have, the
28 poor design decissions, and the lack of interest in their maintainers of
29 fixing these, I'd strongly recommend masking it as was done with packets
30 like wordpress or at least putting a big warning to the users.