From: Josh Glover <jmglov@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Handling downloads from sourceforge in an ebuild
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 18:42:34
1 Quoth Jason Rhinelander:
2
3 > Guys, as a user, let me tell you that these sort of bickering, snappy
4 > comments in public - especially from devs - really have a detrimental
5 > effect on the opinions of users towards devs as a whole, even if it's
6 > just a few.
7
8 [...]
9
10 > Next time a dev wants to call someone a tool may I suggest the comment
11 > not be sent to the list?
12
13 I could not agree more! I am a new Gentoo dev (but have been an Open Source
14 dev and member of some highly technical mailing lists for years) and have been
15 quite surprised at some of the stuff I have seen here on -dev.
16
17 I think that, as a group of volunteers (as Grant Goodyear just eloquently
18 noted), we have *a lot* to lose if we cannot keep the flaming down. Gentoo is
19 quite an achievement, and we should all be proud of it (especially those of
20 you who have, quite unlike me, actually contributed ;). Flamewars on public
21 lists like -dev or even in the Forums can make the whole lot of us look like
22 socially retarded "nerds", an image that the media loves but I hate.
23
24 Please, I get enough petty politics from my day job. Let's try to be patient
25 and decent here on -dev.
26
27 As a final note on the subject of netiquette, I would like to point out that
28 it is polite to read *all* of a thread before posting an answer--this helps
29 avoid duplicate posts of the sort we just saw on the "Handling downloads from
30 sourceforge in an ebuild" thread.
31
32 This document is a very good read on basic netiquette:
33
34 http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php
37 Josh Glover
38
39 GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B 07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
40 gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list