From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] extend profiles.desc to include "experimental" profiles
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:16:47
1 On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 00:40 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Friday 11 January 2008, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > For one, a way to mark a profile as deprecated in profiles.desc so
4 > > repoman doesn't scan it (currently, we remove tend to remove them from
5 > > the list).
6 >
7 > is this really needed ? i'm trying to see why this would be useful, and not
8 > coming up with much ... profiles.desc exists for two reasons:
9 > - for qa tools to scan
10 > - so people have a list of valid profiles
11 > if a profile is deprecated and on the way out, neither of these two things
12 > apply to it, so what's the use of having it listed ? we can already mark
13 > profiles deprecated for users who already have it selected ...
14
15 I guess I was thinking more for the package manager. As I said, I would
16 love for it to enforce a valid profile as defined in profiles.desc, even
17 if it is a deprecated one, until the user switches. This means the
18 deprecated profile needs to be listed in profiles.desc, but we don't
19 want to run QA on it, as you said.
20
21 > > The second would be a change to repoman that's more
22 > > "invasive" in that it changes current behavior a good bit, but having
23 > > repoman only scan "stable" profiles, by default, with options to scan
24 > > the other types.
25 >
26 > i think by moving our most annoying profiles out of the dev to the exp state
27 > would mean that any warnings left while in the dev state are something we
28 > want to be seeing and addressing. the problem right now is that we have two
29 > types of profiles listed in dev: ones that people should care about and
30 > shouldnt be breaking and ones that people shouldnt care about and are free to
31 > break. package maintainers obviously dont (and shouldnt) know which are
32 > which.
33
34 Indeed. I can see that with the profiles reassigned there's no need for
35 this.
36
37 > > I've always wanted to have *every* valid profile
38 > > listed in profiles.desc so we can do things like have portage not allow
39 > > someone to use a profile that isn't listed in profiles.desc (of course,
40 > > overlay users crazy enough could do their own profiles.desc and it would
41 > > be stacked with the in-tree one). The main problem with doing this has
42 > > been the effect on repoman, since it scans every listed profile every
43 > > time. I know that most of the profile selection tools out there already
44 > > only show profiles that are listed in profiles.desc, so it wouldn't
45 > > really be a change for them, but I think it would be useful elsewhere,
46 > > too. All in all, having profiles.desc actually showing the status of
47 > > all of the profiles would be great.
48 >
49 > i could see it tied to FEATURES=strict. if you have this enabled, then you're
50 > only allowed to use declared profiles (which means if you use a non-standard
51 > one, you'd need to declare it).
52
53 Sure. I see no reason to not allow someone to turn it off.
56 Chris Gianelloni
57 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
58 Games Developer