From: Pete Gavin <pete@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage-1.5_pre7
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 18:08:11
1 A few comments...
2
3 When I merged in the spython package, it gave me a warning that
4 sys-devel/spython is required. I merged dev-lang/python in, and
5 unmerged spython, and just symlinked /usr/bin/python to spython, and
6 everything seems to be working perfectly. I've been thinking, since
7 the python and spython packages have alot of overlap, we could either
8 make python and spython mutually exclusive (or make dev-lang/python an
9 "upgrade" to spython), or we could make spython search in
10 /usr/lib/spython2.0 as opposed to /usr/lib/python2.0. This would
11 create a lot of identical files on the filesystem, but that way, at
12 least if you merged in the dev-lang/python, and then unmerged it, you
13 wouldn't remove all the files in sys-devel/python. In fact, I think
14 the latter would be a great solution. That way, you can have the
15 statically linked spython and regular python installed simultaneously
16 w/o having any overlap (which is a big pet peeve of mine), and not
17 have problems created by merging/unmerging dev-lang/python. I can try
18 and hack the spython package to get this to work, if you want.
19
20 Pete