From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage-1.5_pre7
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 18:18:02
1 Pete Gavin wrote:
2 >
3 > A few comments...
4 >
5 > When I merged in the spython package, it gave me a warning that
6 > sys-devel/spython is required. I merged dev-lang/python in, and
7 > unmerged spython, and just symlinked /usr/bin/python to spython, and
8 > everything seems to be working perfectly. I've been thinking, since
9 > the python and spython packages have alot of overlap, we could either
10 > make python and spython mutually exclusive (or make dev-lang/python an
11 > "upgrade" to spython), or we could make spython search in
12 > /usr/lib/spython2.0 as opposed to /usr/lib/python2.0. This would
13 > create a lot of identical files on the filesystem, but that way, at
14 > least if you merged in the dev-lang/python, and then unmerged it, you
15 > wouldn't remove all the files in sys-devel/python. In fact, I think
16 > the latter would be a great solution. That way, you can have the
17 > statically linked spython and regular python installed simultaneously
18 > w/o having any overlap (which is a big pet peeve of mine), and not
19 > have problems created by merging/unmerging dev-lang/python. I can try
20 > and hack the spython package to get this to work, if you want.
23 Hmm, it looks like our packages and python itself allways install the
24 complete
25 /usr/lib/python2.0 stuff no matter if I for example disable tcl/tk
26 support.
27 So we could do the following. The /usr/lib/python2.0 stuff comes only
28 with spython
29 The /usr/lib/python2.0/config stuff that is required for linking against
30 python comes
31 only with python. This whould resolve all overlappings and you are
32 allways sure you link with the
33 correct python config.
34
35 achim~