From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-kernel] Proper distribution integration of kernel *-sources, patches and configuration.
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 18:18:01
1 On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 04:41:49PM +0200, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > This problem is not only visible for patches, but also in the config.
3 >
4 > Meet CONFIG_DEVTMPFS; forget to enable it, greet a failing boot. We're
5 > telling users to enable it in some places, in the handbook it's a single
6 > line you must read, on the Wiki it's kind of missing unless you are
7 > luckily on the right page, on the Quick Install book it is missing too.
8
9 This is not the only build option that users must enable to get a
10 booting system by far. So why single this one out?
11
12 > Q: I don't want feature X? Please don't add the patch!
13 >
14 > A: It's optional, don't enable it in your menu config.
15 >
16 > Q: What about my stable server? I really don't want to run this stuff!
17 >
18 > A: These options would depend on !CONFIG_VANILLA or CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
19
20 What is CONFIG_VANILLA? I don't see that in the upstream kernel tree at
21 all.
22
23 CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL is now gone from upstream, so you are going to have
24 a problem with this.
25
26 > which would be disabled by default, therefore if you keep this option
27 > the way it is on your stable server; it won't affect you.
28
29 Not always true. Look at aufs as an example. It patches the core
30 kernel code in ways that are _not_ accepted upstream yet. Now you all
31 are running that modified code, even if you don't want aufs.
32
33 Note, I'm just using aufs as an example here, I'm not commenting on the
34 quality of the code, or why it is modifying the core kernel at all, I
35 happen to run it on some of my own servers, but your feelings might
36 differ.
37
38 > In other words, genpatches stay as stable as before; unless you
39 > explicitly toggle options that intentionally make it unstable.
40
41 As pointed out above, this is not always true.
42
43 Also, as others stated, the "hardened" patches also don't always only
44 touch areas covered by non-config-selected portions of the kernel.
45
46 Mix and match your external kernel patches at your own risk, what you
47 are suggesting does make it "easy" for users, but I bet it will be a
48 huge support issue for the already-overworked gentoo kernel developers,
49 the combinations just are too big to test and guarantee working.
50
51 good luck,
52
53 greg "stick to the vanilla-sources" k-h