From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion for User Feedback
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 11:45:17
1 On Monday 30 July 2001 20:24, you wrote:
2 > Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 > Hmm, generally I'm (and _many_ others) are against this type of
5 > sending information about which programs you use and such. Statistics
6 > of which packages people use we can probably get from the ftp-server
7 > (to see which files are most requested).
8 This information would almost irrelevant IMHO. Many packages are downloaded
9 from their homesites, and some are downloaded but not installed, and some are
10 uninstalled, etc.
11
12 As for privacy: personally I wouldn't be against reporting my own usage in
13 this way. So if make such a system and turn it off by default, there
14 shuoldn't be a problem. Of course, if most Gentoo users keep it off, the data
15 it gives us won't be as reliable. But in this sense I think it's worth a try.
19 > I think however that we should create a script (if there isn't one
20 > already) that helps a user to bugreport. Perhaps something like:
21 >
22 > 1) Which package do you have problem with
23 > 2) Describe the problem
24 > 3) The program creates a list of all installed packages and add it.
25 > 4) Mail the bugreport to gentoo-dev.
26
27 That's also important. Such a script and my proposal are complementary, both
28 are best. The scripts reports failures and the system reports successes.
33 Dan Armak
34 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
35 Matan, Israel